Since the inaugural charter signed on the 21st of February 1957, the structure of the Institute has been gradually modified to arrive at an effective and streamlined organisation. The original make up of the Institute included a Board of Directors that consisted of the founders. The University Director, the President of the Province of Torino and the Mayor of Turin each presided over the board for fixed terms of one year. The Board of Directors elected the Director, the Secretary General, the Treasurer, the Auditors and the Executive Director.
In 1977 the organisation was restructured, with the new charter outlining a Board of Directors, a Scientific Committee and an Accounts Auditor. These bodies are still operating after recent modifications to the charter.
To comply with recently enacted legislation, a new version of the charter was approved in June 1998. The current version of the charter was drafted in June 2004.
According to the new provisions, the institutional bodies of the Association are listed as follows:
- The General Assembly
- The Management Board
- The President
- The Board of Directors
- The Scientific Committee
The Presidents of the Institute from 1957 onwards are listed as follows:
- 2014-to date: Mario Comba
- 2009-2013: Raffaele Caterina
- 2009: Piervincenzo Bondonio
- 1998-2009: Lionello Jona Celesia
- 1977-1997: Andrea Comba
- 1957-1977: Silvio Romano
- 1957: Mario Allara